5-ingredient Tempeh Split Pea Burgers
- 600 g. | 3 cups Split peas Cooked or canned
- 400 g. 1 (14-oz) pack Tempeh
- 120 ml. | ¼ cup Coconut milk full-fat
- 30 g. | 3 tbsp. Ground flaxseeds
- 50 g. | 5 tbsp. Burger spices
- When using dry split peas, soak and cook 1 cup (200 g.) of dry split peas according to the method if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the tempeh to a food processor and blend into a chunky mixture, scraping down the sides of the food processor to prevent any lumps if necessary.
- Add the split peas, ground flaxseed and spices to the food processor and slowly process it along with the tempeh while pouring in the coconut milk to form a chunky mixture.
- Alternatively, crumble the tempeh by hand in a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mash everything into a chunky mixture.
- Put all of the mixture on the baking sheet, and flatten it into a 1-inch thick square. Cut the square into 8 patties and if preferred, shape each patty into a circle before baking.
- Bake the patties for 15 minutes. Then take the baking sheet out of the oven, flip the patties and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Take the patties out of the oven once the crust is crispy and browned and let them cool down for about a minute.
- Serve the patties with the optional toppings and whole wheat buns, and enjoy!
- Store the patties in an airtight container in the fridge, and consume within 3 days. Alternatively, store each patty separately in the freezer, using Ziploc bags, for a maximum of 60 days and thaw at room temperature. Use a microwave, toaster oven, or frying pan to reheat the patties.
This dish, and 75 other 5-ingredient high-protein recipes are found in ‘5-Ingredient Plant-Based Cookbook: 86 Easy & Delicious High-Protein Recipes‘.
Get a 10% discount for the printer-friendly pdf by using the code: PROTEIN
Click here for a full list of International retailers like amazon for the kindle ebook, paperbacks and hardcover versions of the book!