Cartwheel Pasta with Peppers & Onions
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: ~ 40 min |
- Calories: 480 kcal
- Carbs: 76 g
- Fat: 13 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups sweet yellow onion, halved and sliced thinly (crosswise)
- ½ teaspoon salt plus 1 Tablespoon, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped, canned, whole peeled tomatoes with their juice (no salt added variety)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 12 ounces wagon wheel or fusilli pasta
Total number of ingredients: 9
- Place olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While onion and pepper mixture is cooking, peel yellow and red bell peppers, cut them in half, and remove cores. Slice into ¼-inch strips.
- When onion is a rich golden color, increase heat to medium high. Add peppers. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until tomatoes are not watery and have separated from the oil, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add parsley. Stir for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add remaining 1 Tablespoon salt and pasta. Stir well. Cook pasta according to instructions on package, until just tender. Drain well. Toss with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.