Crispy Glazed Tofu with Bok Choy
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: ~ 35 min |
- Calories: 208 kcal
- Carbs: 19 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- ¼ cup plum sauce
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine (can substitute dry sherry)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil plus 1 Tablespoon, divided
- 3 scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Total number of ingredients: 12
- Press tofu as follows: Fold a kitchen towel in half and place it on a cutting board. Cut tofu in half horizontally and set on top of the towel. Place another folded towel and a weight (such as a heavy skillet) on top of the tofu. Let tofu sit for 15 minutes.
- While tofu is being pressed, whisk together plum sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, and rice wine (or sherry) in a small bowl.
- Cut pressed tofu into ¾–inch cubes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat in large non-stick skillet. Add scallions, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add bok choy and cook (turning periodically) until bright green in color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add water, cover pan, and steam until tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a plate. Wipe pan dry.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 Tablespoon oil and heat until oil shimmers. Add tofu in a single layer. Cook without stirring until tofu starts to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir once and continue cooking and stirring until tofu is brown on all sides, 6 to 8 additional minutes.
- Add sauce. Cook, stirring, until tofu is well coated with sauce, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve tofu with bok choy. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.