Classic Vegan Falafel
Serves: 12 | Prep Time: ~2 hours |
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 64 kcal.
- Carbs: 7g.
- Fat: 2.7g.
- Protein: 2.9g.
- Fiber: 3.7g.
- Sugar: 0.9g.
- 2 cups dry chickpeas
- ½ cup parsley (chopped, fresh)
- ¾ cup white onions (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (medium, minced)
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds (raw)
- 1½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tbsp. whole wheat flour (more or less, depending on the batter’s consistency)
- Brown bread crumbs for coating (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
Total number of ingredients: 10
- Cook chickpeas according to the method.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, parsley, onion, garlic, sesame seeds, cumin, salt and pepper to a blender or food processor. Blend the ingredients into a crumbly-looking dough. Prevent blending too long, resulting in a smooth paste.
- Take out the dough and transfer it to a flat surface covered with a tea towel.
- Add about a tablespoon of flour at a time and knead the dough into a non-sticky mix.
- Place the mixture into a medium bowl. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 2 hours or until the dough is firm.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoon amounts and form into small balls. When using the optional bread crumbs, sprinkle them on and lightly press them to both sides of the scooped amounts.
- Put a large skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and wait until the oil is hot. Add as many falafels as possible to the pan and bake them for about 5 minutes. Make sure to cook both sides.
- The falafels will be complete when both sides are golden brown and crisp.
- Allow the falafels to cool. Serve with vegan garlic sauce or mayo (see recipe). Alternatively store the falafels for later.
|Airtight container M||Fridge at 38 – 40°F or 3°C
|3-4 days after preparation||Reheat in pot or microwave|
|Airtight container M||Freezer at -1°F or -20°C||60 days after preparation||Thaw at room temperature. Reheat in pot or microwave|
Check out our plant-based cookbooks HERE!
Vegan Meal Prep: Tasty Plant-Based Whole Foods Recipes Including a 30-Day Time-Saving Meal Plan
* * *
Plant-Based High-Protein Cookbook: Nutrition Guide With 90+ Delicious Recipes (Including 30-Day Meal Plan)
* * *
51 Plant-Based High-Protein Recipes: For Athletic Performance and Muscle Growth (Plant-Based 51 Book 1)
* * *