Chunky Tomato Chili Fusilli
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: ~ 1 hr 15 min |
- Calories: 434 kcal
- Carbs: 75.9 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 18.5 g
- Fiber: 17.6 g
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled
- 1 Anaheim or other mild pepper, seeded
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 rounded Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 rounded teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon vegan adobo sauce
- 3 cans (15-ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15-ounce) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- ½ cup dried bulgur wheat
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 rounded Tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 4 cups filtered water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups cooked whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed (optional)
Total number of ingredients: 19
- In heavy pot or large Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium heat setting until hot.
- In food processor, pulse onion, pepper, garlic, and ginger with an S-blade until chopped finely.
- Transfer mixture to the cooking pot and sauté until vegetables become very soft, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cumin. Stir to combine and continue sautéing for one more minute, until spices become very fragrant.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add adobo sauce, tomatoes, beans, lentils, bulgur, rice, cacao powder, and water to pot. Stir. Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, or until all grains are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over prepared pasta (1 cup chili over 1 cup pasta) and garnish with avocado, if desired.