Braised Greens & Cannellini Bean Panini
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: ~ 1 hr |
- Calories: 397 kcal
- Carbs: 55 g
- Fat: 13 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- 1 ½ pounds hearty greens such as kale or collards (about 2 bunches)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, sliced ¼-inch thick (use only white and light green parts)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots or 3 spring onion bulbs, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cups cooked cannellini beans or one 15-ounce can, rinsed
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices crusty whole wheat bread
- olive oil cooking spray
Total number of ingredients: 16
- For braised greens ingredients: Separate stems (stalks) from leaves. Keeping stems and leaves separate, thinly slice stems into ¼-inch pieces; stack and slice leaves into 1-inch strips.
- Over medium heat, warm olive oil in large Dutch oven. Add chopped stems and leeks. Cook, stirring until softened, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper, red pepper, sliced leaves, and broth. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are very tender (20 to 25 minutes).
- If liquid remains in pan, continue cooking for another 1 to 2 minutes until almost all of it has been absorbed.
- For bean spread ingredients (can be prepared while greens are cooking): Over medium heat, warm olive oil in medium saucepan. Add shallots or onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add wine. Cook until almost all wine is evaporated (3 to 6 minutes).
- Add beans, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Cook until heated through (1 to 2 minutes).
- Puree bean mixture in food processor until almost smooth. (When pureeing hot foods, use caution.)
- To prepare and assemble panini: Spray cooking spray on one side of each bread slice. Place 6 slices face down. Spread equal portions of bean spread on each of these 6 slices. Then top the bean spread with equal portions of braised greens. Place remaining 6 slices of bread, spray side up, on top of greens.
- Press in panini maker until crispy and hot.
Notes: Braised greens and bean spread can be made ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate in separate containers. Will keep for up to 3 days.