Baked Tofu with Cabbage & Shiitakes
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: ~ 40 min |
- Calories: 322 kcal
- Carbs: 15 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- 2 packages (14- to 16-ounces each) extra-firm tofu
- 2 ½ Tablespoons black bean-garlic sauce, divided (see Notes)
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 10 cups chopped napa cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups halved shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, plus chopped greens for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine (see Notes) or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (e.g., Sriracha) to taste
Total number of ingredients: 9
- Pat tofu dry.
- Place oven racks in upper third and lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425°
- Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray. (Use sheets with rims.)
- Cut tofu into 1-inch pieces; place in large bowl.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of black bean-garlic sauce, 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil, and the sesame seeds. Toss to coat.
- Place tofu pieces in a single layer on one baking sheet. (Save the bowl.) Roast tofu on lower rack until browned (25 to 30 minutes), stirring twice.
- While tofu is roasting, combine cabbage, mushrooms, scallion pieces, remaining ½ Tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce, and remaining 1 Tablespoon sesame oil in bowl saved from step 6.
- Spread vegetables on second baking sheet.
- When tofu has roasted 10 minutes, place sheet with vegetables on upper rack. Roast until tender (about 20 minutes), stirring once or twice.
- Spoon tofu over vegetables, drizzle with rice wine (or sherry) and hot sauce. Stir to combine. Garnish with scallion greens.
Black bean-garlic sauce and Shao Hsing (Shaoxing) rice wine can be found in Asian markets or in Asian foods sections of well-supplied grocery stores.
Check out our plant-based cookbooks HERE!
Vegan Meal Prep: Tasty Plant-Based Whole Foods Recipes Including a 30-Day Time-Saving Meal Plan
* * *
Vegan Meal Prep: 30-Day Plant-Based High-Protein & Fitness Meal Plan (including 90+ recipes)
* * *
51 Plant-Based High-Protein Recipes: For Athletic Performance and Muscle Growth (Plant-Based 51 Book 1)
* * *
51 Plant-Based Whole Foods Recipes: Including Delicious Soy-Free & Gluten-Free Meals (100% Oil-Free) (Plant-Based 51 Book 2)